Morning routine leads Garner couple to $4 million lottery prize

November 13, 2017 Posted by NC Lottery at 11:00 AM

For Susie and Dennis Marion of Garner, an ordinary morning routine instantly turned extraordinary when they got a Ruby Red 7’s scratch-off ticket and won $4 million.

“In the mornings, I go and get a scratch-off ticket while Dennis goes to Bojangles and gets a bacon and egg biscuit,” Susie said.

That’s exactly what happened when Susie stopped at the Breeze Thru on N.C. 42 West in Garner. While she was there, she decided to get a $20 Ruby Red 7’s scratch-off ticket. At first, Susie didn’t think she’d won anything.

“I scanned the ticket to check and it said, ‘Go to lottery headquarters,’” Susie said. “I asked the clerk what I’d won and he told me, ‘I think you just won $4 million!’ I couldn’t believe it. I was shaking, and started crying. It didn’t feel like it was possible.”

Susie immediately got her husband, a retired Marine veteran, and showed him the tickets.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Dennis said. “It felt incredible. It couldn’t come at a better time.”

Susie and Dennis drove straight to lottery headquarters in Raleigh to claim their prize. They had the choice of taking a $4 million annuity that has 20 payments of $200,000 a year or a lump sum of $2.4 million. They chose the lump sum. After required state and federal tax withholdings, they took home $1,668,030 million. They plan to use some of the money to go on a dream vacation to Hawaii.

“I’ve wanted to go to Hawaii for quite a while,” Susie said. “We’re going to take the grandkids. It’s going to be a great time.”

Ticket sales from games like Ruby Red 7’s make it possible for the lottery to raise more than $600 million a year for education.

Congratulations Susie and Dennis!

11/15/2017 07:14 - Michael M.

But other than that. I personally really like the new app. It's not a daunting task of clicking luckezone, wait for load, next option wait for load. All of the most used options are right up front. Click it and you are there. Much much user friendly and it's much more appealing to the eyes.

11/15/2017 07:10 - Michael M.

Going back to what someone said earlier about the Monster Money second chance. It hasn't even updated to show "winner notified." This makes me believe that a winner has not been picked yet and we are still waiting for a drawing. I always check to see if it says this then I check my emails to see if I won. As of right now, since it still only has "-" in the winners mark, I have no idea if the notification email has been sent out to the winner. When I do see it I check my email and if I do not see that email, I know that I did not win. Please update this. Thanks. NC Lottery
Michael- Winners of Lucke-Rewards and Second-Chance drawings are notified within 24 to 48 hours of the drawing. Winner names are posted once they claim their prize.

11/14/2017 09:46 - Gregg J.

God is Good!!!

11/14/2017 09:04 - William D.

always takes time to get used to something New. I will just wait and see till all the bugs are cleared up, no comment yet on new site.

11/14/2017 07:27 - Mike S.

@Michael C. you did see this story last week. Trying to deflect all the bad news from the "new" website. Noticed the "My Entries" are now back on the second chance drawings - about time. Now how about updating the winners board, it's been since Oct. 26th since it was last updated.

11/14/2017 01:14 - Denver O.

Hate the new website. Old one was better. Easier to navigate.

11/13/2017 10:45 - Jacobby J.

Congratulations! Wonderful to see and hear!

11/13/2017 09:52 - Nazalee N.

the new changes are to confusing.

11/13/2017 07:23 - Quinton G.

Congrats y’all I’m very happy ?? for y’all.

11/13/2017 06:45 - michael c.

I thought I read about this last week?

11/13/2017 04:21 - yvonne f.

So did someone win Monster money second chance? I noticed we can't see the winners anymore. NC Lottery
Hi Yvonne- Winner names are not posted until a winner claims the prize. To view winners, go to your "User Dashboard," click on the "Draw" icon and then make sure the "My Entries" box is unchecked. This will let you see who has won the different drawings.