'It was heart racing!’ Catawba County man says of $100,000 Powerball win

January 12, 2018 Posted by NC Lottery at 12:57 PM

Kody Pugh of Conover is celebrating his good fortune after he won $100,000 playing Powerball.

“It was heart racing,” Pugh said of the win. “It’s crazy! It still hasn’t hit me.”

Pugh’s good fortune happened when he stopped by the Citgo Food Mart on East Conover Boulevard in Conover to get a lottery ticket.

“I don’t play Powerball,” Pugh said. “I usually play Pick 3, but I just had a feeling to switch.”

He got a ticket for the Dec. 30 drawing, and it beat odds of one in 913,129 to win the prize.

“At first I thought I only won like $4,” Pugh said. “But when I showed it to my family and they started hollering and going crazy, I knew I had won something else.”

Pugh claimed the prize Thursday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh.  After required state and federal tax withholdings, he took home $69,501. Pugh says he plans to use some of the money to get a new car. He also wants to take his mom on a Las Vegas vacation.

The ticket matched the numbers on the four white balls and the Powerball to win $50,000. Because he added the $1 Power Play feature, the prize doubled to $100,000 when the 2X multiplier was drawn.

Ticket sales from draw games like Powerball make it possible for the lottery to raise more than $600 million a year for the state. For details on how lottery funds have made a difference in all of North Carolina’s 100 counties, click on the “Impact” section of the lottery’s website.

Congratulations!

1/15/2018 08:58 - Yi Zhi Z.

Hi,when I scanned the new jumbo bucks tickets, it showed "we encountered an error while processing your request. Please try again later." NC Lottery
Good Morning- Thanks for letting us know that you're having issues with the ticket. We checked with our team and they said the issue should be resolved. If you try again and the tickets don't work please let us know

1/15/2018 09:45 - carolyn b.

why was my ? not answered........ NC Lottery
Carolyn-Sometimes we hold off answering a question immediately to make sure we give you the correct information. It takes a little bit longer on weekends to get a hold of the right people who can help. Your question has been answered below.

1/14/2018 06:05 - Michael A.

Please add a link to your main page for players to send you feedback. I have asked for this 10 times and yet no response. I continue to dump the request anywhere there is a comment box. You should setup a feedback box off the main page so all customers can see the requests and "rate" the requests so you know "what we want" versus someone who does not play think x is good when players want y. All responsible web sites have feedback and rating queues.

1/14/2018 05:04 - Yi Zhi Z.

Try to report an issue with scanning the the new jumbo bucks ticket. Game #602 there is aan error message come up every time NC Lottery
Thanks for letting us know about the issue. Do you know what the error message says?

1/14/2018 05:32 - Avery E.

good luck on your fortune

1/13/2018 05:34 - Tarice C.

Nice

1/13/2018 01:23 - carolyn b.

YOU SAID JUMBO BUCKS WAS A CORE GAME AND VERY POPULAR...SO WHY DID YOU GO FROM 10 TOP PRIZES DOWN TO 8 TOP PRIZES ON THE NEW VERSION...... NC Lottery
Hi Carolyn- When the older version of the game launched, it had 8 top prizes, just like the new game. If a game is popular with our players, we might choose to order more tickets and that increases the number of top prizes. This is what happened with the Jumbo Bucks ticket. I hope that answers your question!

1/13/2018 12:21 - anthony f.

Congratulations!

1/12/2018 03:29 - judy w.

Congratulations