$792,655 Cash 5 jackpot means a second honeymoon for Raleigh couple

August 12, 2019 Posted by NC Lottery at 4:17 PM

For Sandra Dickinson of Raleigh, a $792,655 Cash 5 jackpot means a second chance at her dream honeymoon.

“My husband and I didn’t get to go on a real honeymoon,” Dickinson said. “But now we can. We’re going to take a cruise. I love to travel, but my husband’s never been outside the country.”

Dickinson’s husband Danny Bizzell bought the ticket for the July 12 drawing at the Food Lion on North Rogers Lane in Raleigh.  Sticking with his tradition, Bizzell used the same numbers he’s played for almost 13 years.

“When I got my first Cash 5 ticket I had the machine pick the numbers for me,” Bizzell said. “I’m superstitious and don’t like change, so I’ve been using the same set ever since. I can’t believe they finally came up.”

Bizzell gave the ticket to Dickinson for safe keeping while he went on a fishing trip. He was in the middle of the lake when Dickinson called with the good news.

“I almost fell overboard,” Bizzell said. “I told her, ‘Are you freaking kidding me?’”

She wasn’t, and they came to lottery headquarters in Raleigh Monday morning to claim the prize. After required state and federal tax withholdings, they took home $560,805. In addition to a second honeymoon, they plan to replace the fishing boat they got back in 2004. The ticket beat odds of one in 962,598 to win the jackpot.

Cash 5 is a statewide draw game that gives players the chance to win a jackpot every single night. Tickets cost $1 and players can buy tickets at most lottery retailers or through Online Play on the lottery’s website. The jackpot for tonight’s drawing is $324,000.

Ticket sales from draw games like Cash 5 make it possible for the lottery to raise more than $700 million a year for education. For details on how lottery funds have helped all of North Carolina’s 100 counties, click on the “Impact” section of the lottery’s website. https://www.nclottery.com.

8/17/2019 10:27 - Danny B.

It’s kind of funny how the cash 5 for 4 numbers is always $250 dollars even that’s computing at its finest.

8/14/2019 12:25 - Mary H.

Congratulations :)

8/13/2019 07:17 - Dorothy M.

Congratulations. Why do Charlotte and Raleigh have the majority of big jackpot winners. Perhaps smaller towns should not play cash 5NC Lottery
Anywhere there are more chances being taken to win—for example Raleigh or Charlotte—the odds will play out more often there over time. You'll have a larger volume of both winning and non-winning tickets in proportion with the odds. That has no effect on the likelihood of a particular ticket winning or not winning a prize, whether it be in a big city or a small town. It has to be that way in order for the lottery to be fair to everyone. That said, we've certainly seen our fair share of big winners in small towns. If you scroll back far enough on the blog, you will see quite a variety in the locations of the winners, like the $1.3 million Cash 5 jackpot winner from Autryville: https://nclottery.com/NewsBlogDetails/2019/5/14/Sampson-County-womans-Mothers-Day-ticket-wins-1dot3-million-jackpot.

8/13/2019 01:18 - Steve L. P.

I too have a set of numbers that I've played for years, winning $1 or $5 here and there. Won $300 once but never the jackpot, so I keep playing. Like Vivian P said, "All number will fall, sooner or later" Congratulations on your perseverance and your eventual results.

8/13/2019 11:35 - Brenda S.

Enjoyy.

8/13/2019 10:02 - Barbara G.

Awesome blessing.

8/13/2019 09:11 - Gary C.

Congratulations!!! Dedication definitely paid off.

8/12/2019 11:26 - Elizabeth C.

Wow, I bet he didn’t care if he caught any fish after that phone call. He had already reeled in the biggest one of all. Congratulations to the lucky couple. Happy cruising and safe boating!

8/12/2019 11:16 - Vivian p.

Enjoy your trip and boat.I'm with you all numbers will fall sooner or later. Happy for u Vivian P.

8/12/2019 09:14 - Jack W.

Congratulations on this win. Hope you still play your numbers.

8/12/2019 06:02 - Berry B.

I play second-chance for years Never won one penny,how do the lottery pick their winners?NC Lottery
Hi Berry, Promotional and second-chance drawings are held using a random number generator according to strict security procedures. To ensure fairness to all players, all lottery drawings are done with an auditor present and all the lottery’s security practices are independently reviewed on a regular basis. The more entries you make into a drawing, the more chances you have to win. But having even just one entry in a drawing gives you a chance to win.